Friday, June 22, 2012

My Experience With Gloria Vanderbilt Jeans

It can be difficult for full-figured women like me (5' 6" and 300+ pounds) to find jeans that fit, flatter our shape, and don't break our budgets.

Back in the day (and by that I mean even as recently as 20 years ago) there weren't very many designers catering to full-figured women, and there were even fewer designers producing jeans for plus-size women.

Since I had a limited budget for everything including clothing, I normally shopped the cheap racks for jeans. As long as it fit, didn't cut off my circulation at the waistband and in the thighs, and didn't drag on the ground (I've got short legs) I was happy, but I was even happier if I could get away with spending $10.00-$25.00 on a pair of jeans.


In my childhood and adolescence I'd worn enough thrift store, rummage sale, secondhand store, yard sale, and garage sale apparel to last me a lifetime, so as an adult I refused to even shop for clothing at those venues. Part of the reason for that was that one piece of clothing that was purchased secondhand turned out to have originally belonged to a school acquaintance of mine, and she pointed that out rather rudely (and of course in front of other people). After that, I figured cheap new clothing was just fine with me.

The first piece of clothing I ever bought that cost over $50.00 was a non-designer short-sleeved burgundy pullover sweater top. I still have that sweater, it has shrunk a bit over the years but I've certainly got my money's worth out of it.

Buying plus size designer jeans (or any other plus size designer clothes) struck me as a total waste of money. Then I found the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. These jeans fit well and looked good on me. My only sticking point was that they cost $57.00 per pair. In my world, I could get jeans for $10.00 to $25.00 - and I could buy nearly 6 pair of the really cheap jeans for what one pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans would run.

I lusted after those jeans. I argued with myself over the price. And finally I broke down and bought one pair of Gloria Vanderbilt plus size designer jeans. I wore them until they fell apart.

I still remember my first last and only pair of Gloria Vanderbilt plus size designer jeans with a lot of fondness. It was the best $57.00 I ever spent.

Volupture is not just a business to us, it is an affirmation and confirmation that we believe in all women having the right to feel beautiful and valued.